Jacob Urup Nielsen
The central theme in the bid is Rethink. They want to rethink cultural institutions, they want to rethink educational institutions. They want to rethink the city as such. And they want to offer the city during the year of 2017 to experiment with new forms of institutions. So that is the core of their bid.
Aarhus is a special city in the sense that it has got a big student population. It has got a student population of about 50,000 in a city of 350,000. So it is one seventh that are the university students there. So it is a very big student population and it gives the opportunity for a richer cultural life.
The university lies on the outskirts of the city or what used to be the outskirts of the city. And gives it that dimension of having a city center that is not taken over by the university. So that the university does not have the predominant role in daily city life. You can go to the city center without going to the university.
That being said students have an immense value to the city such as consumers, as developers of services and as creative entrepreneurs. Many of the students will be people that will go on and develop new things and take part in in the cultural life of the city.
- Glasgow 1990
- Pros & Cons of culture-speak
- Liverpool 2008
- Maribor as European Capital of Culture
- Rotterdam 2001
- Challenges of Liverpool 2008
- ECOC projects - Opportunities and expectations
- Impacts of Graz 2003
- Creative Industries and the ECOC projects
- ECOC project vs future development of the city
- Creative industries as a part of the ECOC project
- Way you manage expectations of people
- Aarhus 2017
- ECOC or Marketing Cities in Europe?
- Tallinn 2011
- Positive thing about Tallinn 2011
- NOASS participated in Riga 2014
- Riga 2014
More fights by Jacob Urup Nielsen
Jacob Urup Nielsen
Founder of Centre for Cities and CreativityFull biography